A-26 Night Mission Invader Squadron

Description:

A-26B SN# 43-7140 was built in 1943 it was the 328th A26B built at the Douglas plant in Long Beach, Calif. It was delivered to the USAAF on December 8, 1944 and given the USAAF serial number of 41-39427. It served with the following military units listed below: - 127th base unit at Florence S.C. - January 4, 1944 through November 13, 1945 - 4160th base unit Air Material Command at Hobbs Field N.M. - November 13, 1945 through September 1948 - 4127th base unit Air Material Command... Read more

Base:

Invader Squadron
Fort Worth Meacham Airport, Fort Worth, TX

Website:

A-26 Specs
Role Ground attack; light bomber
Manufacturer Douglas Aircraft Company
Introduced 1942
Power 2 × Pratt & Whitney R-2800-27 "Double Wasp" radial engine, 2,000 hp
Length 50 ft 0 in
Height 18 ft 3 in
Wingspan 70 ft 0 in
Range 1,400 mi

A-26B SN# 43-7140 was built in 1943 it was the 328th A26B built at the Douglas plant in Long Beach, Calif. It was delivered to the USAAF on December 8, 1944 and given the USAAF serial number of 41-39427. It served with the following military units listed below:

  • 127th base unit at Florence S.C. - January 4, 1944 through November 13, 1945
  • 4160th base unit Air Material Command at Hobbs Field N.M. - November 13, 1945 through September 1948
  • 4127th base unit Air Material Command at McLellan AFB in CA - September 1948 to March 13, 1950

On March 13, 1950, the aircraft was stricken from the USAF inventory and sold on the civilian market. The aircraft spent 2 years in storage until Alex Oser, a scrap dealer bought it and 13 other A26's in January of 1952. On March 19, 1952, the aircraft was sold to Texas Railway Equipment Co. of Houston; this aircraft being one of nine sold to this company. Later, seven of the aircraft ended up going to the French Air Force.

The aircraft went through major modifications in April of 1953 when the aircraft was completely disassembled and all systems inspected and repaired or overhauled. It was at this time the aircraft was converted to an executive transport with many luxuries and modifications being done to the aircraft by Grand Central Aircraft Co. of Glendale, California.

The Douglas A-26 Invader (designated B-26 between 1948 and 1965) is a twin-engined light bomber and ground attack aircraft that was built by Douglas Aircraft Company during World War II which also saw service during several major Cold War conflicts. A limited number of highly modified United States Air Force aircraft served in Southeast Asia until 1969. It was a fast aircraft capable of carrying twice its specified bomb load. A range of guns could be fitted to produce a formidable ground-attack aircraft.

Copyright © 2018. All rights reserved. | Privacy Policy | Cookies Policy | Members Login