A-26 Shamrock 2-2 Sierra Hotel Sponsor Group
Ada Regional Airport, Ada, Oklahoma
|Role||Ground attack; light bomber|
|Manufacturer||Douglas Aircraft Company|
|Power||2 × Pratt & Whitney R-2800-27 "Double Wasp" radial engine, 2,000 hp|
|Length||50 ft 0 in|
|Height||18 ft 3 in|
|Wingspan||70 ft 0 in|
A-26C 44-35643 (N626SH) was built at the Douglas Plant in Tulsa, Oklahoma. It was used as stateside as a trainer for A-26 Combat Crews until WWII ended. After the war she was converted to the RB-26C configuration and was later sold to the French Air Force where it flew combat reconnaissance missions in Indochina for 18 months. After her service with France, she returned to the U.S. and was converted into a corporate transport flying in the U.S. and Canada before being acquired by the CAF. After a landing mishap, she was grounded for 28 years; 22 of which was during the restoration by Sierra Hotel. She returned to the skies over Oklahoma in 2020!
The Douglas A-26 Invader (designated B-26 between 1948 and 1965) is a twin-engined light bomber and ground attack aircraft that was built by Douglas Aircraft Company during World War II which also saw service during several major Cold War conflicts. A limited number of highly modified United States Air Force aircraft served in Southeast Asia until 1969. It was a fast aircraft capable of carrying twice its specified bomb load. A range of guns could be fitted to produce a formidable ground-attack aircraft.